The Hazardous Materials “Specialist” course being offered online this spring! This course meets and exceeds the Federal standards of 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Q) for the original hazardous materials “Specialist” certification. We hope you will join us online for this Training opportunity!
The hazardous materials specialist workshop (OSH 4180) is delivered online and on campus, and is limited to the first 12 students. Upon satisfactory completion of this workshop the student will receive a Certificate of Training.
COURSE PROFICIENCIES The workshop consists of reading assignments, research papers, video exercises and online discussion boards. Upon completion of at least 24 hours of training, students should:
• Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of hazardous materials classification, identification and verification by using advanced survey instruments.
• Be able to plan and implement the local, county and State jurisdictional emergency response plan.
• Demonstrate the proper selection and use of specialized chemical personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Demonstrate proper scene set-up, coordinate specialized control, containment and confinement operations for any incident site.
PREREQUISITES In order to register for the workshop you must have either:
• An approved Hazmat Technician Certificate, or
• Completed Madonna’s Hazmat II course. GAIN
ADVANCED SKILLS Take this opportunity to gain skills in preparing for, responding to, mitigating and recovering from natural, manmade and technological incidents. While the duties of a Hazardous Materials Specialist (HMS) parallel those of hazardous material technicians, they also require more specific knowledge of the various substances an HMS may be called upon to contain and mitigate. The HMS also acts as the site liaison to federal, state, local and other government authorities with regard to all site activities. Commonly in command of all hazmat field operations, the HMS oversees operational integrity.
CONVENIENT AND AFFORDABLE TRAINING Offered May 15 – August 5, this class is online with two oncampus meetings. Tuition is $1,170 for for the non-credit program, and $1,950 for degree seeking students. Register online at madonna.edu/ continuinged or by phone at 734-432-5804.
Haz Mat Mike